Sunday, December 30, 2007

It snowed!

Since going back to school I have been trying to save money by cutting down on shopping. However there is one new, slightly expensive purchase I have made that I don't think I could do without: snow boots. I knew it was going to be colder over here but, man, it snows a lot. And there aren't very many sidewalks, and the snowplows don't get to the residential streets for days. This means I end up walking to school through the snow all the time. This is not a problem for me as my boots keep my feet dry and warm and I can almost pass them off as fashionable.
It takes more than boots to stave off the cold here. Before venturing outside I need a sweater, coat, long johns, jeans, warm socks, a hat and a scarf. The scarf is a very important detail. Wrapped correctly is can double as a balaclava; keeping my chin and cheeks warm. There is no picture of it here because it looks totally ridiculous and I don't like to be seen wearing it.
Despite the harsh weather, or maybe because of, it is very beautiful here. It has been some time since I've been around this much snow. It boring everyday things new. I think that this type of spiky frost forms after a night of heavy fog. Everything was covered in spines even innocent berries. After every snow I feel like a kid again. It helps that we don't have to drive anywhere.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can't visit you because I don't own any snow boots. :( But your snowy pictures are gorgeous and they will have to do for now.