Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Oh Summer, I love you

With the entire summer off I worried that I would be bored out of my skull but so far so good. I've been having a great summer.
Ian and I went down to Dayton for the 4th of July and did some berry picking. I didn't even know that blueberries did well in Eastern Washington; I thought it was too hot. They were so big and delicious but we only had $14. We were careful not to over pick our dollar amount but it would have been easy to do so.

The 4th was fun, although I have to photographic evidence to support that. My cousin Heather, whom I haven't seen in a few years came and Doug brought a ton of fireworks.
I also found some time for a visit to Seattle. Clover, Nathan and I converged on Kat and Jesse over the weekend. While Kat and Jesse were working on Friday we headed out to Bainbridge Island because Clover wanted to ride the ferry.
We tasted some wine, had some laughs and went back to the big city. We went to Nordic Heritage days or something like that, ate way too much good food, went shopping, played board games and wore ourselves out. The weather was wonderful the entire time I was there. Good times. A shout out to Kat and Jesse for putting us up and putting up with us. We all had a good time in Seattle and we couldn't have done it without you. Thanks a ton. I also went to Bellingham and spent time up there with Clover. There are so many things I love about that town. Sometimes I dream about moving back to the west side.
In the week that I was gone to Seattle the garden went crazy. These two summer squash plants now make it difficult to move around.
We actually got to eat some zucchini from the garden the other day. The climbing beans have reached the top of their poles and have started to bloom. The onions are almost ready to go and we have started eating them. All of the squash plants are in bloom and creating tiny squash I won't get to eat for quite a while. The tomatoes are doing very well.


I don't know what we did right but the tomato plants are huge. So big they fell over in their tomato cages. We fixed it with some string and a cinder block. There are so many green tomatoes hanging from the plants I'm already imagining canning some spaghetti sauce. I've never made it from scratch but the idea of making enough to get through the year is very appealing.
That is a very brief overview of my summer so far. More adventures to follow.