Thursday, January 7, 2010

Frozen puddles

I know I've been complaining about the weather so forgive me as I talk about it some more.
It has been an odd winter. It rained quite a bit last week but because of the cold the ground was part frozen and totally saturated. The water started to accumulate in huge puddles. For the last two days it has been very cold (less than 20 degrees-not cold in Fairbanks but cold enough here) and the puddles have frozen over. Not in the classic messy and opaque style though. They are lovely, clear frozen puddles. If you peer into one you can still see the blades of grass poking up and some suspended whole leaves. For some reason I think the puddles here are more attractive than the run of the mill frozen puddle. And they are very smooth. Perfect for sliding across. Every time I see one I want to get a running start and slide all the way across but I'm scared of landing on my butt. Kids don't have to fall as far and dansko shoes aren't the best shoes to run around in. The fact that I don't slide across every puddle I see makes me worry about getting old. I'm still young enough for puddles, right? Well, I have been giving it a go and found a huge one perfect for sliding on in the middle of campus. Tomorrow I'll wear better shoes and drag someone out there with me to pretend that we are still kids sometimes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'll come with you Sis. Theres nothing better than a big puddle and yours sound exceptional.