Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Aunt Clover rocks

Timmy turned 7 this tax day and for his birthday I tried to give him an adventure. This is a tricky thing to do. It had to be fun for kids and for me and it had to be cheap. So I took Wes and Timmy for a weekend at Aunt Clover's. The boys have been to Bellingham before, I think, but it had to have been a long time ago. So I picked them up, bright and early, on Friday morning. The drive to Seattle is shorter than I remember and they were troopers. No fights or anything. We made it right on time to have lunch with my dear friends, Kat and Jesse. And, because this is an adventure, we had dim sum. Wes took to it really well. He tried everything and went on about how much he loves shrimp. Timmy was relieved to find one thing he liked. Just one thing. After lunch Jesse showed off his soccer skills. Those poor boys never had a chance.

We ran around for a while then had a birthday cupcake and it was back into the car and off the Bellingham.

Clover was waiting with tasty food and Mom showed up shortly after. Fortunatley she wasn't delayed by traffic because we had awesome plans. Bellingham has its own circus guild that does monthly variety shows and our timing was perfect. We talked Timmy and Wes into some totally rocking mustaches. They looked very cute but we all know how biased I am.

The show was lots of fun but if you ask Wes about it he'll tell you about the girl who brought a boa. A red tailed boa to be exact and Weston spent most of the show talking to her and petting the snake. This kid loves all living things. Kat and Jesse have grown chickens and he insisted on holding one. Clover and Eddie have baby chicks and he spent a lot of time watching, feeding and holding them. Every time we got back to the house Wes would ask to hold the chicks.

Weston is so fond of animals we ended up at the beach the next day. Clover met a friend with boys about the same age and they ran around together. They got dirty, wet and covered in scratches. They seemed mostly unfazed by this. The part they remember most? Holding a star fish.



Weston tried to bring it home but fortunately someone was paying attention and made him put it back. After an hour smelled like fish and so did my car. They took showers as soon as we got back to the house and Clover was thoughtful enough to wash their clothes right away.


The rest of the weekend was pretty tame; eating, painting, cake, presents and holding chicks (again). It was a good visit. You should ask Clover about the change in her yard sometime. I think the boys had a good time and I would definately do it again. They're not little angels but they are sweet and fun.


1 comment:

RaeAnn said...

Thank you for doing that for my boys. They did have fun.