Sunday, June 24, 2012

Bunnies and the Bees

I promised I would post an up-to-date picture of the new garden path and here it is.  It rained the night before I took the picture and the moisture is still visible in the cracks.  This has been a surprisingly wet June.

Now that the chickens are locked out the flowers are flourishing.  I may have put some of the perennials too close together and some tall flowers in the front.  That will be a project for next spring.  For now I just want to admire my handy work.  The insects also seem to love it.  Bees visit frequently; salvia seems to be their favorite.  Aphids attacked the black currant a couple of weeks ago.  Two days after I noticed the infestation and before I got around to putting soap spray on the leaves, a friendly lady bug took care of the pests.  Awesome!  That's how I wanted it to work.  I'm not surprised to find lady bugs in the yard.  Kelvin and I dropped a couple of thousand on a more serious aphid issue earlier this spring. 

In more exciting news my bunnies had bunnies!


I realize that this is just a picture of hair in a box but this is what you see when a rabbit kindles (that's the industry term for having offspring).  This was a first time mom and she seems to be doing awesome.  Rabbits don't like to be disturbed so I've only been checking the nest box enough to determine that everyone is alive and well.  Counting baby bunnies accurately is surprisingly hard; they're small and bald and wiggle a lot.  So my estimate puts her number between 6 and 8 babies.  Perfect as far as I'm concerned.

No comments: