So there was this ugly box sitting on a table and who can resist opening a mystery box at Goodwill?
And to my surprise there was a lovely red sewing machine. Now if it had been a standard sewing machine I would have walked right by but this was a serger. I already have two sewing machines on hand. One is on 'loan' from my mother. Who knows if she'll ever ask for it back. And the other was a gift from my mother. So when I saw this eye candy at the store what could I do but call my mother.
Look inside, she told me, and see if it looks any good. Ummm.... looks like a serger. But you know how it is, the more you talk about buying an item the more you want to do it. So we talked for 15 minutes and she told me if the price was right it was worth the gamble. I didn't want to pay the requested $70 for an untested machine but thanks to the general friendliness of my Goodwill and lost pedal they sent it out the door for $27. I've bought my first sewing machine!
Mom sold these sergers back in the day and she says they are very nice but need to be oiled all the time. They drink oil, she says. Maybe that's why it didn't turn as smooth as it should. Or maybe it's busted. Guess who can help me figure that out: Mom! I'll bring the machine her way soon and she can reset the needle and maybe do something with the timing (I don't know what that means but I guess it's important) and, of course, oil it. Hopefully this machine will be more than a fun Saturday adventure.
No comments:
Post a Comment