Tuesday, June 30, 2009

My Garden

What was that? You want to hear more about my garden? This is excellent because I'm really enjoying the garden this year and have taken many a picture in the last couple of days. I'm sharing the garden space with my down-stairs neighbors and this is their first attempt at a garden. They make me feel like a pro. I have more experience than someone. That and so many more things lived this year. It doesn't look empty. In fact, I planted too many things close together and had some crowding issues. Live and learn. I'm kind of using the square foot gardening method. And kind of just winging it and planting thing where I want to.


This is the majority of the garden. The potatoes in the front are huge!


This is my one year old nephew in front the potato plants. They are as tall as he is. I haven't mounded up the dirt around the roots and so the potatoes are starting to show through.

These are my biggest tomatoes to date. They are called 4th of July tomatoes because they are supposed to be ripe by the 4th of July. They have a few more days to turn red but I doubt they'll make the deadline.


This is an interesting plant I wanted to try this year. It's called kohlrabi and Dick Raymond says it looks like a sputnik.


I didn't realize how large the leaves would get. They shaded everything around them. I'm holding on to Kelvin after I let him run around the yard alone for a while. This is what happened.


He pulled up some weeds. . . and ate them.
There are more plants in a different parts of the garden. A winter squash, pumpkin, zucchini, sunflowers, strawberry and something called Japanese Pumpkin. I have more pictures but this post is already large and who wants to look at more pictures of someone else's garden?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, I want to hear lots more about your garden! As you definitely know more than I do. So keep talkin. It looks really great, I think mine is mostly weeds. But I did find one carrot amongst all the weeds, so that's something. Also, Kelvin looks darling! I think he's grown into his face some. :)

Clover said...

I love it! I relinquish the master gardener title to you, for now. It is great having pictures to go with all the garden stories I hear. The garden at the shelter is just starting to sprout beans, peas, kale, lettuce, and potatoes. I hope I didn't plant them too late but I love going out and checking the progress they are making. And that baby is too cute. Glad to see he hasn't started getting funny looking yet.