Saturday, October 17, 2009

Clouds of blue. . .

Blue what? Gnats. Every fall (or at least the three I've been here) this charming little town is flooded with gnats. They are tiny and have fuzzy blue/white bodies. Some times they are so thick that they are visible swirling clouds of white. The walk home is just an adventure of trying to avoid the most concentrated clouds of gnats. I walk in the middle of the road then move to the right. I see a parting in the cloud and move back to the center of the road. But really they are everywhere and when I get home I'm covered in half dead blue gnats. I suspect that they have very short lives just dedicated to finding someone to carry on the species with. It makes me feel bad for them and I try not to kill them.
They drive me crazy and they just hatched out yesterday. The weather is lovely but I have some serious issues with going outside.

2 comments:

Clover said...

I always hated how I always managed to get one in my eye while riding my bike :P

Unknown said...

Rissa, ther are aphids. We ave some too but nowhere near the concentrations you do. Enjoy.