The NY times magazines had a whole issue about how people eat recently. For the most part what I read confirmed how I feel about food, you know, cook more, don't eat too much meat, etc. But one article took a slant I found disturbing. It doesn't talk about some crazy new diet trend. No my friends, it just started presenting studies that show if I eat less I might live longer. At first I thought "this is interesting." But then I started to feel guilty. Now I'm irrationally upset. I love to eat. I love food. And when I have a real job and live in a real town I have plans to eat many wonderful foods. Maybe even stuff myself silly with these tasty foods. Now I know it will kill me. And the people in my life who don't eat that much (you know who you are) you're going to out live me. Now I have this (irrational) image of me old and hobbling around with a walker while you play golf. I don't want to die! I want to live to a very old age. But it science is trying to suck the joy out of eating. You can't have it science! But I don't want to die!
Is living it up while you can the way to go? Or making careful choices to make it last as long as possible? I feel like the grasshopper who is not ready for the long winter. But it was great while it lasted.
If you are feeling gloomy about your impending demise visit the death clock. I'm going Jan. 18 2062. Maybe I'll celebrate; like a reverse birthday.
2 comments:
I read the beginning of that article too, then I was like naw I'm not gonna eat less, and put it down. Because I do enjoy eating and I do see eating well as a privilege and I don't think I'm a glutton...
Also how did I get March 10, 2083? They think I'm going to live to 105! Wow. Time for some more mac n' cheese. (Homemade at least.)
I read the whole article. Guess I should give up my increased calorie diet, I had it right in the first place! Nerissa, you shouldn't worry so much.
Tuesday, June 2, 2071. Kat will outlive us all!
Post a Comment