Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Field camp day 2

Today was our first day out in the field. The weather was not so good. The first stop was a general over view of the places we would be mapping so we went to a look out point. Everywhere we looked there were clouds and rain. The prof kept saying "you can kind of see over there. . .." It was tragic. It rained through most of this stop as well. The write in the rain note books do not lie! I watched the rain drops bead up and roll off. After a while, though, it began so sink in and warp the pages. It got a bit harder to write, too. What an auspicious way to start. But as soon as we got into the vans it stopped. Isn't that always how it is? We drove to the first mapping site, got some light instruction and were set loose. I didn't pull out the camera until lunch. And what a lunch it was! I got to make my own sandwich and there was focaccia bread! And this is my only picture with me in it. heheThe view from my lunch counter was also nice.

If somewhat ominous. All day long I thought those clouds were coming our way but, except for the crazy wet morning, there were only sporadic rain drops. I think the day went well and am looking forward to the same site tomorrow.
Dangerous looking all day long! I can't tell you enough.

Dispite all the fun I was relieved to be heading back to the vans. I almost fell asleep on the way back in. And have discovered a bit of sunburn.

1 comment:

Clover said...

Wear your hat you silly girl! You don't want cancer of the ear do ya? Nice boots by the way. Keep the posts coming. I want a play-by-play of your whole exciting trip!