So this day started out with a bit of rain as well. But we set out to do our work in high spirits. And I have a butt picture of some of us leaving the vans.
The rain cleared up pretty quickly and it was beautiful! I understand why people love this area.
We went on with our mapping and it started to rain again. And it rained hard, poured you might say. I was warned that I should be prepared for rain when I come but I had no idea. It was shocked how it dumped on us. I was walking around with a classmate and it felt like we were the only two people out there. Alone in the rain. His rain coat got soaked through.
Here he is gamely posing for a picture with rocks in the pouring rain. Oh geology students. This is a pretty cool sandstone/conglomerate/sandstone contact. Somehow, despite the rain it was still really pretty out there.
We hiked a lot of miles today but by 1 o'clock my pants were soaked through and I could feel water running down my legs. My bag was totally saturated and I was really hungry because who wants to stop and eat in the rain? I decided that by 2 I would be back in the dry van finishing my map and trying to warm up. And then, moments after my decision, my prof announced over the radio that we were packing it in for the day. I could here people cheering even though I couldn't see them. We started to walk back in and it felt like people were pouring out of the hills to get back to the vans. Such happy, soaking wet people.
I can't decide if I should rush out and by expensive water proof pants or just suck it up for the next couple of days. I learned that Rite in the Rain notebooks can get soggy and that hiking in the rain sucks.
1 comment:
Sounds like you will be well hardened for a backpacking trip! It is beautiful there. The sky looks very dramatic. I would miss the trees if I lived there, though. Need me to mail you some rain proof pants?
Post a Comment