Sunday, June 20, 2010

Field camp day 7

So a note about the rain. I met a woman today who told me that this area has had a 12 year 'drought' and that this is an amazingly wet year. The reservoir is full for the first time in a decade. So this rain and cold in June is rare and precious. That said it is raining a lot but so far we have only had one rainy field day. And most locals I talk to tell me that it should be nice weather from here on out.
Today was our day off. I say "was" because as I write this the sun is setting and it is raining. I am glad we got to stay inside where it is warm and dry. I did go for a walk though. There is a Patagonia outlet store in town and I went with some friends to pick up a t-shirt. It is awesome and I am so tempted to just go shopping crazy but don't worry. I was responsible.
Field camp update! One of the students decided that doing field camp was a bad call and left in time for a full refund. We're going to miss him. Where will you go, Andrew?


Hehe.
Field camp is stressful. Every day (except Sundays) we are in the field for 8 hours (including driving). And this doesn't feel like enough time to get everything done. My roomie says that so far the most important lessons are endurance and time management. I am hoping that as I get better I will map faster.
It is also fun. I am meeting so many people and (cheese alert) making new friends. The additional non-Eastern students are all awesome. One of them is my mapping partner for our first big project. He is nice and totally nerdy. He brought his own Pokemon pillow with him. I'm not being mean! This is true.
He is also very nice and is a good field partner. He even poses for pictures. How tolerant.


In summary I am working hard and making friends and learning a lot of geology. I will show you all my rocks when I get home.

2 comments:

Clover said...

I am doing a lot of walking too! I want to get in shape for some backpacking and I don't want to be shown up by Mom. Went on a fabulous hike with Doug and a friend yesterday. I could spend all day outside on days like yesterday, though I am not having to map anything or do any homework. If it makes you feel any better I got a gnarly blister on my heel. Love you and miss you!

RaeAnn said...

One more week! Soon you will be applying for that great geology job. I'm still working on a job for you man...